1. Necessity is the mother of invention.
需要乃创造之母。
2. Don’t worry. I’ve got his number.
不用担心。我对他了如指掌。
?get sb's number 了解某人的情况,发现某人的本质
e.g. I used to think he was a friend of mine, but now I've got his number, he's completely selfish. 我一向认为他是我的朋友,但现在我算把他看透了,他完全是个自私自利的人。
3. Apply the cream liberally.
多抹点。
4. We reached a gentleman's agreement.
我们订了个君子协定。
?gentleman's agreement 君子协定,君子之约
e.g. A gentleman's agreement has no legal force usually. 君子协定通常没有法律效力。
5. It’s his sore point.
那是他的痛处。
?sore point 令人难堪(或痛苦、伤心)的话题,亦作 sore subject
6. The guy eyed me up.
他色迷迷地打量我。
?eye up 对…做媚眼,向…送秋波;色迷迷地看,挑逗地注视
e.g. Jack has been eying her up all morning. 杰克整个上午一直对她做媚眼。
7. There’s every prospect of success.
成功的希望很大。
8. Hey, get off your high horse.
别盛气凌人的。
?high horse 傲慢的态度
9. What an underhanded intrigue!
多么卑鄙的伎俩!
10. Let me kill the fatted calf for you.
我要为你接风洗尘。