1. I was only a hick town lad at that time.
当时我只是个村里来的傻小子。
?hick 和city slicker 这两个词分别是城里人和乡下人对对方的贬称。hick的意思是“乡巴佬,土包子”。slick字面意思是“圆滑的,油滑的”,所以一个city slicker 也就是说话很圆滑,衣着很时髦,但是很可能是一个不老实、不可信任的家伙。
>>美国习惯用语83 城里人乡下人<<
2. She’s such a pathological liar.
她撒谎成性。
3. I need to confer with my lawyer.
我要见我的律师。
?confer with 商讨,交换意见
e.g. I'll confer with him on the subject. 我将和他商议这件事。
4. How’s he like? Warts and all.
他这人怎么样?照实说(不要隐瞒他的缺点)。
?warts and all 不掩盖地,据实地,毫无保留,不隐瞒任何缺点
e.g. He said l would have to accept myself, my warts and all, and that we don't get to choose our warts. They are a part of us and we have to live with them. 他说我将不得不接受我自己,包括缺点以及一切,我们无法选择自身的缺点,他们是我们的一部分,我们只能接纳。(《玛丽和马克思》 )
- My dream? My dream wouldn't be complete... without you in it. I love you, Naveen.
- Warts and all?
- Warts and all.
5. Survival of the fittest. God’s honest truth.
适者生存,天经地义。
6. You can’t fight destiny.
人不能跟命争。
7. They exchanged conspiratorial glances.
他们交换了一下眼色。
?conspiratorial glance 阴险的目光
8. Grandpa is old but hale.
爷爷真是老当益壮。
?old but hale 老当益壮
hale and hearty 精神充沛的,矍铄的;老当益壮的,健壮的
9. Three bourbons, straight up.
三杯波旁威士忌,不加冰。
?straight up 真的,确实;直率地,真实地;(酒)不加冰块的
e.g. I'm gonna give this to you straight up. 我就坦白说吧。
But I gotta be straight up. Straight up. 但我必须坦白地说.坦白地说...
10. We must not flinch.
我们不能退缩。